Picture this—you’re watching a scary movie. The scene opens at night, and as the camera zooms in through the bedroom window, you hear a scratching, grating sound. It gets louder and louder as the camera gets closer to the bed. Is it a monster? No! It’s someone grinding their teeth. Teeth grinding, or what dentists call bruxism, can wear down the enamel on your teeth, loosen dental restorations, and cause pain and soreness. Bruxism is also responsible for headaches, jaw tightness, and a very frustrated sleeping partner. Luckily, we provide a straightforward solution that combats the effects of teeth grinding while you sleep: night guards.
Do You Experience Teeth Grinding at Night?
We often see grinding our teeth as a way to express frustration, fear, or anger. But teeth grinding often happens subconsciously. Bruxism frequently occurs at night, with the side effects showing up in the morning.
We understand the challenges of dealing with constant fatigue, unexplained headaches, and disrupted sleep. It can be frustrating. However, solutions like night guards offer a simple yet transformative way to address these issues.
These tailor-made devices are designed to fit snugly over your upper teeth and protect the lower ones. Imagine them as silent guardians, protecting you throughout the night, shielding your teeth from the harm caused by grinding and preserving your enamel for the future. Adults and children can use night guards, though adjusting to wearing them may take some time.
What Can Night Guards Do for Me?
Night guards are a useful tool, with benefits ranging from preventing tooth damage to saving on future dental bills:
- Prevents tooth and restoration damage: Protecting your teeth is what night guards are for; they prevent your upper and lower teeth from coming into contact. Your teeth won’t suffer the steady erosion inflicted by grinding, promoting a healthier and more vibrant appearance. Night guards also prevent damage to dental restorations such as dental crowns or bridges.
- Reduces TMJ pain and jaw tension: Have you ever woken up feeling like you’ve spent the night chewing on leather? Jaw tension can be a real pain. Fortunately, night guards can significantly reduce the friction grinding your teeth creates. This can lessen the severity of TMJ dysfunction, a disorder affecting 5-12% of adults.
- Helps prevent headaches: Teeth grinding during the day or night can cause headaches and migraines. Wearing night guards greatly reduces the chance you’ll feel that pounding head pain the next morning.
- Promotes better sleep patterns: Various factors can impact your sleep, but night guards can assist with some. Less grinding makes it easier to fall into that all-important deep sleep. Your body will thank you!
- Prevents snoring: As an added benefit, night guards may help prevent snoring and alleviate sleep apnea, ensuring a peaceful sleep for you and your bedroom partner.
- Saves on long-term costs: Consider the long-term benefits: investing in night guards reduces the likelihood of future dental complications. Those future problems cost time and money to fix, so you’re doing yourself a favor by making a wise preventative decision now.
Professional Night Guards vs. Store-Bought
If you wander the aisles at the drugstore, you’ll find several over-the-counter mouthguards. So, what’s the benefit of opting for a professional night guard? The key is that a professional night guard is customized. Dr. Ney will create a personalized appliance that fits the exact shape of your dental anatomy. This customization makes them more comfortable than store-bought options, and they will last much longer.
The boil-and-bite options you see on the shelves are better than the ones you wear straight out of the box, but neither will come close to the comfort, longevity, and effectiveness of professionally made night guards. If cared for properly, a professional night guard can last years!
When you come in for your visit, Dr. Ney will evaluate the impact of bruxism on your teeth and take impressions. A dental lab uses these impressions to meticulously craft your new night guard.
Dr. Ney Can Help
Dr. David P. Ney has earned a reputation for trust and excellence in the Greater Harrisburg and Charlotte communities. With 25 years of experience, families consistently turn to him for his commitment to providing quality dental care and personalized solutions.
Dr. Ney’s unwavering dedication to dental excellence is evident in his continuing education and leadership role with the nationally recognized “Seattle Study Club.” When you visit our practice, you’ll experience the most cutting-edge treatments and techniques aligned with the latest developments in the field.
But Dr. Ney’s dedication doesn’t stop at North Carolina’s borders. Whether supporting the Greater Harrisburg area or providing dental services to the people of Ghana, his passion for his work and helping others knows no bounds.
Prevent Teeth Grinding With a Custom Night Guard
Investing in a professional night guard can significantly improve your oral health and well-being. These tailored solutions not only provide relief from teeth grinding but also contribute to a more restful night’s sleep. By safeguarding your teeth and promoting better sleep, night guards are a proactive measure for long-term dental and general health.
If you’re sick of waking up with headaches, a sore jaw, and sensitive teeth, there’s hope. Contact our office to arrange a consultation and discover the benefits of a good night’s sleep thanks to a custom-made night guard.